Thursday, June 21, 2012

Garden mathematics


+


=



The Colorado potato beetles are back.  I got a head start with their control this year.  I waited far too long in 2011.  Everything turned out okay but I do believe the plants suffered a bit and the resulting yields weren't anything to write home about.  This week I've made a point to go to the potato patch every other day or so to pick these suckers off the leaves.  Luckily, they're slow and apparently tasty (to chickens).  I collect them in a bowl and drop them into the chicken run and the ladies make quick work of them.  It's fascinating to take a pesty protein and turn it into a more delicious one.  It reminds me how much living on this earth means that you participate in one big cycle of life.  Thank you chickens, thank you bugs.



No comments:

Post a Comment